Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hard times, but improvements on the way–I hope!

It's been a hard week, but things are going better.

First I should say that Ian was poked and prodded by 4 doctors on Nov. 10 and given a clean bill of health. Hooray! He is doing so great.

I started the new trial chemotherapy drug Wed., Nov. 10 (which happened to be my Dad's birthday–Happy birthday, Dad). That day I also finished taking the steroid I'd been on since surgery to keep brain swelling down. I'm still on the anti-convulsant for a few more days, but that is the last thing I have to take due to surgery. I'm just waiting for all the scabs to be gone from my scalp so I can go get my hair shaped up. ;-)

Anyway, the next day was great. I even boasted on Facebook that I had done a half hour of Wii Fit yoga and gone for a walk (up a hill, no less). The next day fatigue set in and it got worse from there until I was in pain and in bed by Sunday evening. I won't go into all the gory details–and they were gory–but I started feeling better a couple of days later.

I still don't know if it was the chemo or leftover effects from the steroid or something else altogether, but I was pretty sick. No doubt my immune system is not at its best. My Dr. had me stop the chemo on Monday to allow me to recover some. I went back on it on Thursday–so today is day 3. So far, so good. I'm certainly not at 100%, but I'm doing okay. Yesterday I played the piano and did some weaving. Since it was raining I didn't walk, but was moving around the house pretty well.

I'm so grateful to our church folks, who have been bringing in dinner meals all week, so my family has eaten well in spite of everything! David has juggled being back at work and the kids schedules, including a trip to Oakland Airport early Thursday morning where Helen flew out for a long planned trip to see a friend in Austin, TX. She will be back late Monday. We've got to get this girl driving! She's close–maybe she'll have her license by the end of the year. Then, of course, she'll want a car!

Thankfully, David's father has also been doing better. We are looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with my folks in Mariposa and spending some time with David's family in Merced afterwards.

My hope and prayer is that I will continue to improve. Getting off the anti-convulsant in a few days should help. I know I truly have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I hope it is a time of blessing for you and your family as well.

Thank you again for all the positive vibes you send my way. :-) More to be thankful for!

Love, Natalie

1 comment:

  1. I hope you continue to tolerate the new treatment Natalie. I'm sorry you had a rough start, never a good way to begin something new. There's good news about Ian and your father -in -law and I'm sure this will be a relaxing and fun get together this coming week. Happy Thanksgiving Natalie.

    ReplyDelete