Tuesday, November 2, 2010

After surgery


I am now a week past surgery. I haven't updated the blog because I've been a little fuzzy headed. To be expected after brain surgery, I guess. And, David has been a little distracted. You can't tell by reading this, but it takes a little longer when I have so many typos to clean up!

The good news is the surgery went very well. They went back to the same place the tumor was growing 10 years ago and got all they could find of the returning tumor. The pathology is not back yet, but all signs point to the same grade of tumor–the lowest grade they give adult tumors. Obviously, we have to wait for official word. If the tumor is at the lowest grade, there is the possibility I can participate in a new drug study only being used at UCSF to prevent the return of low grade tumors. Hopefully, I will never have to had another brain surgery!

I expected to be in the hospital 3 nights, but got out a day early, so I came home on Thursday. And I got to wash my hair! This is a big deal when you have blood caked in your hair and the nurse has told you it will be 10 days before you can wash it! But the surgeon himself gave me the go ahead. The last time I had surgery I had half my head shaved, but this time they had "new haircuts" and only shaved the incision line and a few other spots they had to for surgery. So, with my curly hair, I look pretty normal. The thick line of staples is pretty well hidden, and I will have them removed on Monday, Nov. 8. (I haven't counted them, but there are a lot!)

My parents have been helping us out, staying with me and providing transportation and cooking and cleaning, etc. My dad, his skills always in demand, has even taken on a bathroom that is still unfinished from our remodeling project–the never ending remodel.

I have been out a little, went to church on Sunday and took a walk around to see some Halloween decorations, as you can see from the picture.

So, I am doing very well and appreciate all your prayers. We should find out about the pathology later this week, or, at the latest, on Monday when I see my oncologist. I am taking things slow and steady and expect to experience improvement every day.

I pray this finds you in a blessed place, as I feel blessed by you. Love to all, Natalie

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home Natalie. It's so good to know you're at home and with your family. I'm so glad that everything went so well and all your fears have been eliminated. I'm sure your biopsy will support this. Tell your folks "hello" from me and I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Hope to see more pictures of you on FB Natalie. You haven't changed one bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie and family,
    I have been following your courageous march and praying for you. Thank you for sharing with us.
    "God is our refuge and strength,
    always ready to help in times of trouble.
    So we will not fear when earthquakes come
    and the mountains crumble into the sea."
    Psalm 46:1-2 NLT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie,

    You are amazing..! I am so sorry I wasn't able to be at UC with David and family. I am happy that you are doing so well. Each day is such a blessing..! Let me know when you're up to a girls day. Jenny and I are trying to put a Tahoe thing together.. Maybe you'll join us.
    Love and Hugs, Deborah

    ReplyDelete